“The superfluous, a very necessary thing.” – Voltaire
Hallo! My name is Kerri, but a lot of really awesome people call me Kerri Jo. You can use either. I am the heart and soul (fingers and keyboard?) behind Groggy In The Morning, this crazy little collection of my personal stories. I have always loved a good story. I’ve been an avid reader since I was old enough to hold a book, and I have probably spent far too much of my life with my butt glued to a couch, but my mind a million miles away. Stories have the power to provide escape, insight, adventure, joy, and even anguish, all delivered, into your imagination direct from someone else’s. To this day, when life is too much to handle I like to pick up a familiar book and lose myself in its story.
I’ve taken this love of reading stories and attempted to make a career out of it, but surprisingly no one would pay me to read Harry Potter or Tolkien all day long. I don’t get it either. Instead, I’ve floated around dabbling in journalism, advertising, and now more technical writing. I’m unbelievably lucky to be paid to write, even if it is on topics that might put a sane person to sleep in .02 seconds.
Craving a more creative outlet, and wondering if I still have the ability to write creatively in the first place, I decided to start a blog. Because really, what kind of millennial would I be if I didn’t have a blog where I can talk about myself 100% of the time and expect people to want to read it? I’d hate to disappoint the all those social scientists studying our selfie-obsessed generation. Hence, why we’re both here.
Speaking of my generation, I know we prefer to read things in list format, so for those of you who skipped over the elegant prose above, you can learn a little more about me here in this handy-dandy list of fun Kerri Jo facts. There will be a quiz.
Fantastically Fun K-Jo Facts:
- Books are my life. Big books, little books, old books, new books, book with pictures, and books in languages I can’t read. It doesn’t matter, I just love books.
- For obvious reasons, I still can’t forgive Fahrenheit 451 for burning all those books, even if it was a literary lesson on censorship. I will probably never pick up that book again, despite the fact that I own it.
- Coffee. Just Coffee.
- Mornings are not my best time. You might call me groggy.
- If I could buy all the shoes ever, I’d do it and would never regret it for an instant.
- Sarcasm is my first language. I also speak a little German.
- I am impatient about most everything.
- I often feel guilty for not reading “more important” books.
- I collect quotes and coffee mugs. If there is a coffee mug with a quote on it, my day is made.
- I tend to be long-winded when I write, kind of like this list. I’m sorry if you hate that. I’ll work on it.
- It should be noted that I’m a people-pleaser. If my people are happy, I’m happy.
- I love to feed people. It goes hand-in-hand with my people-pleasing tendencies.
- Perhaps even more enjoyable than feeding people, is making people laugh. I value laughter pretty dang highly in this world.
- I really agree with my Voltaire quote I put on top of this page. I think that silly, superfluous things are often more important than the necessary things. Yes, I realize that’s an oxymoron. Those are my favorite.
- To further prove that point, see the below quote. I do, in fact, love flowers!
“Just living is not enough … one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.” – Hans Christian Andersen
Have any more questions? Feel free to send them my way!